1. Turn on the computer; then, while the “To interrupt normal startup, press the
button” message is displayed at the lower-left of the
screen, press the ThinkVantage button. The Rescue and Recovery screen opens.
For models supporting the Passphrase function, press F1 while the POP icon is
appearing on the screen; then enter the POP. For the other models, enter the
Note: To check whether the ThinkPad computer supports the Passphrase
function, enter the BIOS Setup Utility and go to Security --> Password.
If the Using Passphrase item is displayed in the menu, this function is
available on the ThinkPad computer.
2. Click Access BIOS. The system Restart Required window is displayed.
3. Click Yes. The computer restarts, and the BIOS Setup Utility screen opens.
4. Select Security, using the cursor directional keys to move down the menu.
5. Select Password.
6. Select Power-On Password.
7. Type the current SVP in the Enter Current Password field. then leave the Enter
New Password field blank, and press Enter twice.
8. In the Changes have been saved window, press Enter.
9. Press F10; then, in the Setup confirmation window, select Yes .
As many as three passwords may be needed for any ThinkPad computer: the
power-on password (POP), the hard-disk password (HDP), and the supervisor
If any of these passwords has been set, a prompt for it appears on the screen
whenever the computer is turned on. The computer does not start until the
password is entered.